View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #24
GTO

Default light change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
RSA 270:12-a. I, (a) gives the Director of the Division of Safety Services or his duly authorized representatives (NHMP Officers) that exact power.

However I think that in actuality most folks would be warned that the particular lighting was in violation and given an opportunity to fix the problem and a citation would probably only be issued in a case of refusal to comply or gross negligence.

One thing to remember is the civil liability inherent in this issue. There is a statute that prohibits this type of lighting. But if someone gets in an accident and claims that they were confused or misled by a lighting display, the property owner could easily find themselves liable in civil court.

With that in mind I would think that a property owner would welcome a visit and warning by a NHMP Officer if they have lighting that could cause issues.

And as the LT stated in his post, a call to the good folks at NHMP can clear up any confusion or answer specific questions in reference to this particular issue!

Marine patrol stopped by our dock last week (after dusk) to inform us of the lights on our dock and give us literature on the law. I informed them (because I read it here first) that we had ordered new domes to replace the green/red and they would be in place in a week or two. They were both very professional and friendly and then they went to the next dock to inform them.