View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 10:31 AM   #17
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I have an oil furnace. There's a slight smoky smell in the house. I checked downstairs for leaks around the flue and don't see any. The furnace also seems to be cycling on and off too often. So I conclude that the most likely cause of both problems is a dirty filter. When was the last time I had the furnace cleaned? I don't dare answer that.

It can take quite a while to get an appointment for a cleaning. In the meantime, can I change the filter myself? Anything I need to know about doing this? Does Home Depot sell filters? Or can I vacuum the filter?

I read online that you're supposed to change the filter every 3 months. That seems excessive to me, but I conclude that every 3 years is bad. Very bad. I have a carbon monoxide detector (recently replaced). I will call the oil company tomorrow if they're open.
Air filters are easy and cheap. The size will be written on it when you pull it out, just buy a new one at Home Depot and slide it in. Just make sure you check the arrows for direction of flow. Turn off your red power switch to the furnace and swap it out. Ours is visible with no cover over the end of it, some systems may have a screw to remove a cover.

Every few months is recommended, more if you have pets. We have 4 dogs, so I have to change monthly.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote