View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 12:25 AM   #18
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
Good advice was given, for the OP's direct question use 12 gauge regardless of amp load due to his saying he may run 75 ft. Plus, since you said the pellet stove is plugged into a power strip, there's always the possibility that something else gets plugged in.

I TOTALLY agree with those suggesting correctly done generator wiring. It isn't expensive, gives a lot of comfort in the case of an extended outage, and is SAFE. You can do the sub panel as many suggest, I've chosen to do the full breaker panel capability where all circuits are available.
Right. And you might want to rotate circuits. Say you have a freezer and a fridge. You could run each for say 4 hours at a time but not both at once.

One thing you do need to be careful of is going above 80% of designated amps. Which is possible even with a sub panel. For continuous load you probably want to keep it under 50% capacity of the generator. Leave the rest of the headroom for appliances that will surge.

Like someone said in the other thread. You do have to have some understanding of what’s going on. How some appliances surge. How much surge the generator can handle etc.

What ever you do, don’t run a microwave. Even small one would make my 4000 watt (non inverter type) generator go nuts. It’s a very odd load.

If the lights dim (or watch the volt meter going under say 105V) or generator is straining , back off on the load.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote