View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #110
VtSteve

I've boated at night since I was probably mid teens, which was a few decades ago I've rarely gone out on rainy or foggy nights, at least I've always tried not to. The night air is exhilarating, and the preferable moonlit nights are about as good as it gets. Even though I knew the lake extremely well, I rarely went into areas at night that I didn't frequent on a regular basis. So I could cruise from the neck to Meredith Bay, over to the Weirs for fireworks, out through Paugus, and down towards the Witches. Those used to be my limited cruise paths at night.

We never went that fast really, occasionally ripping the water up at an unconscionable speed of 40 mph LOL But generally speaking, we'd cruise along slowly to eat a pizza on the way back, turn it up to 20 to 30 mph and enjoy the beautiful night. It's harder to do on many lakes now due to congestion, boats without lights, the occasional people-powered craft that is hardly visible in daylight, and many times because I'm yawning before 10:00 PM.

Lots has changed the last thirty plus years. There are many "boaters" that lack the requisite experience, common sense, and even the attitude that is commensurate for a quality and safe boating experience. In other words, much more similar to highway driving than it used to be. Boaters in general used to be a less similar to the general population than they are nowadays. Not all mavericks for sure, but perhaps a heartier stock, big on the personal responsibility and camaraderie. I hate to paint with such a broad brush, but everytime one of these discussions comes up, it reminds me of watching the movie Dirty Dancing. The horrified looks of terror when those terrible young people were dancing like the devil

But it's a big world out there now, and many newer boaters didn't grow up on the water as I did, and they feel the need to "share" their opinions and views of their latest hobby with themselves, and their state representatives. People that generally make arses out of themselves on land with huge egos and arrogance, will generally do it on the ski slopes, and the water as well. It doesn't take many of these flamboyant, Type AAA personalities to make convenient targets, and representations for the nanny staters. We had one such person that is no longer on the water anymore over here. But in general, the go fasts here are pretty responsible and experienced.

The major problems are with tubers, newbie hot shots in their first boats, the usual. It would be a full time job every weekend to limit enforcement to just these groups. But alas, it's not done. The complainers have their targets, and the majority of unsafe boaters apparently are not in their focus yet. At any rate, I suspect that this economy will have a Thinning of The Herd impact on boating, which might not be a bad thing long term.