View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I am by no means an environmentalist however we do use way too much plastic, especially the shopping bags. Also I disagree about the caustic chemical used in recycling. More and more companies are shifting to non caustic natural products to recycle paper and at worst the caustic chemicals do not stay around in a landfill for the next century like the straws and shopping bags.
And if recycling can be done where the environmental impact is reduced or better yet eliminated that's great and thus a sound solution. However to many just "assume" that if they don't see "it" then we're all good when the reality is that is not always the case. Most don't pay to much attention to what happens "behind the scenes" such as the actual recycling process used in this case.

I'm no environmentalist either, however always a proponent of doing things that are friendly to the environment when and where it makes sense to do so. The jury is out on this one, but as usual the feel good legislators think waving a magic legislative wand will do it.... well no that is simply wishful thinking and shifting the impact out of the public eye. You'd think the prudent thing to do instead of instituting a ban on something such as California has done blindly - weigh the proposed replacement option in it's entirety first! That would include the economic impact as well.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote