View Single Post
Old 09-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #74
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Ok, I missed the part about "taking docks away" from those who have them. I agree completely and, unless I missed it, don't see anyone saying otherwise here.

When our association moved from a lottery to "own until given up/unpaid/death/moved/etc." people who already had slips kept them and moved forward. As part of that, however, only owners can be on the list. So, children of owners have to wait until the property is in their name before getting on the list. This system seems to be working well as there's not a very long list, and it turns over quickly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That sounds reasonable, but that's not what I'm seeing in another case.
In Gilmanton, new buyers are trying to boot existing owners from their own docks and even moorings.

Think about the ignorance and entitlement necessary to propose this:
New to town, they buy a house, knowing there is a substantial wait for dock space. They then petition everyone that they think "docks and moorings should be rotated" (even privately owned moorings). It's actual insanity.

You've got people who have lived there for 20 years getting threatened to be booted off their dock so the new guy can take his spot. They want to propose a rotation lottery.

Who wants to buy a boat that you might get to dock 2 out of every 5 or 6 years?
What size do you buy? What size is the next spot you'll get, it any?

Invest in the community, wait your turn, then enjoy it for life.

I'm new here, at least new to living here full time.
I'm happy to have valet service (and access to a semi-shared dock on the big lake from time to time.)

If you're so special that you want and need a dock right now, buy a house on the lake
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote