View Single Post
Old 05-31-2021, 02:59 PM   #297
CowTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Seaplane Adventures View Post
Yes of course! The town ordinance finally permitted the development of the islands! That's it! Because prior to March 9th, 1988, The islands were undeveloped and uninhabited. (Insert sarcasm here. Still hiding behind Cowtimes).

You pushing this point only negates your point. Prior to the town ordinance they were able to use many other places as well. Not until people, not unlike yourself, complained enough about the barges that they made this ordinance. But nice try.

The poor barge companies have been under attack for decades and now you are boxing them in even further. Now your argument may eliminate their usage of the warf as well. You do realize your heading down that road. I hope you don't push the no commercial usage argument in public.

Epic Seaplane Adventures
Epic, you should really get your facts straight before making arguments on the history of Union Wharf and barge use. Did I say the islands were first developed starting in 1988? Yes, the current ordinance was enacted in 1988. But before that, barges were permitted by ordinance to occupy the wharf for up to 4 hours, and before that there was no limitation for barge use. And now, for over 30 years, they have been allowed to use it up to an hour. Barges have always used the wharf since it was built. I can give you more of the history at a town meeting on this issue if this is where you want to base your argument. But please, base your argument on facts and actual history instead of unsupported hyperbolic and sarcastic statements.

Your statement that “barge companies have been under attack for decades” has no basis in fact. My family has been on the islands and involved in the town on issues surrounding the lake and islands for decades, and I have never heard any uproar over barge use of the wharf. The suggestion that a debate over the use of the wharf in a residential zoning area for commercial seaplane use (which has virtually no benefit and only downsides for the town and its residents) could lead to restricting the use of the wharf for barges in a reversal of decades of practice—which benefits hundreds of town residents—is nonsensical.

The only reason barge use is even part of this discussion is because you raised them as a very poor strawman—unaware that their use of the wharf was expressly permitted by town ordinance—to argue that you are entitled to use the wharf for the base of your commercial operation. You simply are not.

Your entire approach in refusing to address direct questions, constantly changing your story, and sarcastic responses (not to mention the poorly conceived publicity stunt on a seaplane ambulance) does nothing for your cause, and only serves to increase your opposition. If you really want to see what mobilized opposition looks like, continue to try to (falsely) frame this as a debate over continued use of the wharf for island residents with barge needs. You will see how full the town house can get with island residents.

The actual issue here is your attempt to use public property for the base of a commercial enterprise. You may not have wanted to hear it, but the selectmen pretty much already told you it wasn’t going to happen.
CowTimes is offline   Reply With Quote