View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Like many other islanders we use Fairpoint DSL as it is our only option other than cell data. We get a fairly consistent 1.5 to 1.6 Mbps down and about 0.5 up. Enough for web browsing and Netflix.

We had no issues in all of 2015.

In 2014 we had an outage due to trees down and another time a router that went bad due to a voltage surge. Customer service was a real pain to deal with. At that time the traditional plain old telephone service (POTS) part of the company was totally separate from the DSL part. A call to line repair about the severed lines directed me to internet service as we had only DSL. A call to internet service told me that I had to talk to line repair. A call back to line repair and I said that I could see the severed 26 pair cable out back. The line repair rep asked "What is 26 pair cable, how do you know that it is phone line"? Sigh. I finally got to talk to a supervisor who actually had some clue as to phone lines. After a bit, a trouble "ticket" was finally issued.

Hopefully they are more integrated now. We did get the bad router fixed, I happened to see a lineman out back climbing a pole. He had not got the trouble ticket yet but took care of the problem anyway.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote