View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #64
hazelnut

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
And this is where we disagree. I feel the question should be how much death and destruction would there have been had the operator of the Sea Ray had not been drinking, had maintained a proper course and lookout, yielded properly according to the rules of navigation, and maintained headway speed when inside of 150' of another vessel. Four citable offenses. Again, just MHO.

Your 7MPH figure, in theory, would also only apply for a head on collision. Since it was 'assumed' the nefarious Cigarette boat was struck on the port side, the only relevant speed would be that of the give way vessel. Or we could get into physics of motion, but it's been years since I've opened that text.
Ryan what a fantastic post. I particularly like the part where you point out that we have several laws in the books that cover 4 offenses that were ignored prior to the incident. I know this is probably being ignored and glossed over by SL supporters that is why I quoted the post in its entirety so that perhaps it gets read again. Our lake already has these laws in place and I know that you agree with me that the answer is and has always been increased enforcement of existing laws. A new warm and fuzzy security blanket law has lulled many into a false (and very dangerous) sense of security.

Thanks for the post.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post: