View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #49
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Arrow There will always be speediing

Even with a speed limit, there will be speeding. Just like on our highways today. I bet if there was a high speed accident fatility this year, the supporters will have a different tone. Instead of saying, 'No speeding accident this year because of the speed limit', they will say, 'We need more law enforcement!'. We can all see what only one accident can do, especially if you add media hype.

Speed limit or no speed limit. We still have have a problem with 'boneheads'. We have 150' rule, right of way rule etc. I see them violated every day I am out on the lake. The point is, why have rules if no one is adhering to them.

Education and enforcement are the two best weapons to prevent abuse in our arsenal. The skippers should be 100% educated by now. The loophole is the renters and boat owners who are registered outside of NH.

Enforcement is a political 'hot potato'. The legislature don't believe the marine patrol is a crucial part of law enforcement. MP have always been underfunded and understaffed for the amount of territory that they have to cover. We need to convince the legislation that MP is just as important as any law enforcement agency. If we want folks to obey they laws we must hold them accountable.

Education and enforcement will go a long way to keep our waterways safe! Let eliminate the education loophole and ask for more enforcement. Adding more rules and laws makes no sense without enforcement.