View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 11:51 PM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Go cold

What's in the house? Valuable oil paintings, other art work, may suffer in the cold. Barring that, drain the pipes, turn everything off same as we all do with camps. You should have a "guy" who watches over, same as a camp, plows, shovels, etc to prevent vandalism and provide fire dept access. Check with neighbors. It's easier to have the same guy checking several houses in the same neighborhood. If you like electronic systems, that's fine, but you still need a guy to call when your cell phone says "oops". More reassuring to have the guy send you a routine email "Checked again today after the storm, all OK".
I used to do all this stuff myself. Now, my guy knows all my subs: plumber carpenter, electrician. yard crew, etc. and manages the property year round.
If you can go to FL for three months, you can afford property management. Much better than arguing with the insurance company about removing the tree from you r living room after it sat there for a month because nobody was there. Under your homeowners insurance, you have a duty to protect the property. How will you do that?
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: