View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts
Default Mantus Anchor Review

Hi All,
As mentioned in a few other threads, I've been the victim anchor ennui--essentially, I've had a lame anchor for a while but always put up with it. Until a few weeks ago when it took me six tries and a friendly boater to get me set at West Alton sandbar. My boat is a 20' Harris Tritoon with Merc. 150 and 10' bimini.
So I set out and researched and researched and researched. The anchors that receive almost unequivocally good ratings are as follows (everything I read indicated that brand name MATTERS here): Slide Anchor (box style), Fortress (Danforth style;aluminum questionable, steel great), Digger Anchor, and Mantus.
Before I proceed, there are many, many other anchors out there people are happy with, but the ones listed came up repeatedly in 'best anchors' threads and tests.
In the end, I chose a Mantus 13# for the following reasons: lifetime warranty, no moving parts (Digger gets some complaints about faulty springs, Fortress about bent flukes, slide about the hoop at top that has broken off), almost zero negative reviews or tests, shorter scope requirements, and numerous videos both by manufacturer (grain of salt) and avid, fellow nerds. Cost was $120 shipped from marinesupply.com, who shipped it within twenty minutes of talking with them. Sailor Sam's is a few bucks cheaper, and they were great on the phone, too, but didn't have it in stock.
Tests to follow.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Last edited by thinkxingu; 08-10-2016 at 11:38 AM.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: