Thread: Two old Maps
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2022, 10:51 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Charts and rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Fan View Post
They were markers on land with "Measured Mile" written on them. I guess back when most boats didn't have speedometers? I remember seeing them and thinking it was pretty cool. If you were boating by and happened to have a stopwatch you could calculate how fast you were going.

Were they some kind of official markers or like the Barber's Pole?
I recall a sign at one end and red paint on a Birch tree at the north end of the measured mile.
There were similar signs at each end of the Weirs Channel that your transit time should not be less than three (?) minutes from one sign to the next. The northern sign was just before the bridge, so many operated on the assumption that the NWZ started at the bridge, not at the outermost buoy (piling at that time)

The 1951 chart (I use a 1962 version) was published by the Public Utilities Commission a predecessor to Marine Patrol.
For the most part, the rocks haven't changed, so the "old" chart is valid, except where new buoys have been added.
For me, the Bizer chart is cluttered with extra information that makes it difficult to read while underway. Erratic type fonts add to that confusion, so my second choice is the green (Dunphy?) chart. Nevertheless, I carry a Bizer chart on board too. Someday, I'll probably set up a GPS, but not needed yet. The rocks haven't moved since I started navigating as a kid some decades ago.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote