View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #20
ghfromaltonbay

Default NJ Blizzards

Grady,

Thanks for the reminder about the 1st blizzard. I knew here in NJ we had 2 in early 1978 which were less than 2 weeks apart. I forgot that the 2/6 storm was actually the 2nd one. Like you, I had a rear wheel drive car (1982 Monte Carlo) which was terrible in the snow. During both storms I had a 3-4 hour commute home which normally took under an hour (32 miles each way). My Dad did the same thing as you did following plows. At the time he was working in Cedar Knolls for Ma Bell and left home in Ridgefield at 5:30 am to get to the office. He got behind some plows on I-80 and followed them to Parsippany. When he got to his exit for 46W, there was a huge pile of snow from the plows, so he backed up his little red Chevette and gave it the gun. Luckily, the ramp and 46 on the other side were plowed and he made it to work. Unlike the phone company which never closes, I was home in bed since Sandoz was closed. As Dad said when he left home, "The voice must go through.", and yes, that was in the day before cell phones, so those at home had to wait for a phone call once the commuters arrived safely at work.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote