View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilproject View Post
Thanks Maxim for your input. Taxes paid are based on value of the property and I get that. We bought island property with all that goes with it. To redirect the discussion, the association came about in a meeting of another organization. The initial problem was the extreme shortage of parking and the condition of the docks at Shep Browns. The town was approached via a letter and the attitude of the town was to basically say shut up you get what you have. Additional discussion brought the idea of an association which can talk to the town with one voice for it's island property members. In addition the association will provide educational materials and speakers on such items as the shore protection act, water quality, and resident fire protection. We also hope to have input with the state and town when legislation comes up that will effect the use and enjoyment of our property. We also hope to be a resource for potential island buyers. If people had a good resource for what island living is about that may enhance the value of island property.
I do not have any more of a personal ax to grind than the 80 property owners that have already expressed support for the association. We have only contacted about 1/2 of the island property owners to date. Hope you will reconsider the value of this organization. Of course you do not have to join but will still get the value of our work if that is the way you choose to go.
Just out of curiosity what exactly do you expect the town to do about the supposed parking shortage at sheps or Cattle landing? What property they own is parking lot. You should be thankful there is a deal between the town and owners of Sheps to allow the public use of the upper dirt lot during the summer time which the town doesn't own.

The parking problem there is for a very short period of time during a few weeks of the summer. I know I'm up there all the time year round and I use the ramp and parking lot as I don't own a slip I put in and pull out every trip up there. The problem is way overstated and quite frankly I don't blame the town for basically reacting the way they did. If you want your own guaranteed private parking spot buy/rent a slip that comes with one. Oh in fact Sheps gives you trash service to.

I've already seen the town of Hooksett go to hell tax wise because of all these people moving in from states other than NH then wanting all the city services they had where ever they came from. My taxes have almost quadrupled while my house value is worth maybe about 1.5 what it cost to build. I liked it here because the town was conservative and the cost of living was low. Boy has that changed. I guess I should roll over than thank my lucky stars that I can take advantage of all the "services" I never wanted in the first place and sure as hell end up paying for. All I see here is it happening all over again.

IF the day comes were something your association is about to get involved with that I find mutually beneficial and worthwhile I got no problem lending my support but thus far I'm not seeing it. Sorry.... I'm an islander because I'm truly self sufficient and have no desire to change that.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote