View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #46
trackeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I blame the City Council and the Laconia Planning Board. For better or worse, Laconia has decided to pursue federal tax dollars through building section 8 housing. The people who take advantage of this type of housing require services and the infrastructure needed to address the issues they cause. We built a palace at the County Complex on North Main Street ($8,000,000) to help address these issues, after building palaces for the fire department, the middle school and the police station. We are spending $17,000,000 on the Colonial theater. For what, for the section 8 people who live downtown? I doubt they are interested in the theater.

Laconia would have been better served by following Meredith's model and by not investing in section 8 housing. You get what you subsidize.

I grew up in Laconia, and unfortunately regret building our home there.
Let me be clear, I am NOT advocating all folks from Laconia are the dredge we see in Downtown, I've been at the lake for the better part of 30 Years and in NH almost my whole life and have many friends in Laconia.
My conversations with folks at the City clearly indicates to me the lack of cohesive management, a PT Mayor and City Administrator who seems impossible to connect with, at least the Cities Road person makes himself available even if the conversation is almost pointless.
Like you I am so sorry I purchased my little home in Pickerel Cove, yes I did say little, 900sf of living space, hardly Governors Island property and now a tax bill of 6600 bucks a year on a private road.
Perhaps it's time those who receive the least from the city consider the proposition suggested sometime back, The Weirs in NH, or maybe move my property line over a mile or so and be in Meredith.
You are absolutely correct, the Theater by the way I just discovered the place this year, had never been over there, very nice, yep but can't afford to fix the cities streets, Laconia is a Joke....
trackeer is offline   Reply With Quote