Thread: Boat washing
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
jeffk

I tend to think of water slime (and all the junk in it) on the bottom of a boat like salt on a car. Over time it will damage the finish and possible work its way into the fiberglas. I think the only way to remove the water slime thoroughly is to use the right cleaning chemicals. I'm sure that they make $$$money$$$ on this process but in my mind the alternative is to do it myself or pay thousands down the road to have the fiberglass refinished.

I have the hull cleaned and waxed every year. I do the top myself. The boat is 23 years old and I get lots of comments on how great it looks so I guess I'm doing something right.

BTW, even worse is sun damage. When I got my boat, my first, no one mentioned getting a mooring cover. I used a bow and cockpit cover. After about 8 years the top edges not protected by the covers started to chalk. I had to get it refinished. I immediately bought a mooring cover to take the pounding of the daily sun. It's a lot cheaper and easier to replace the cover instead of having the boat refinished. Live and learn.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote