View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 05:47 AM   #9
steve-on-mark

I've been in the auto repair business for many years and it still amazes me that timing belts can do what they do! They connect the bottom of the engine ( crankshaft), to the top of the engine ( camshaft). The crankshaft makes the pistons go up and down, while the camshaft opens and closes the intake and exhaust valves. With the belt removed, the crankshaft can be spun quite easily, but the cam is very difficult to turn, even with a wrench on the cam pulley bolt. The reason it's called a timing belt is that the engine valves have to open at a certain time in relation to where the pistons are. If the belt breaks at 2000 rpm, those pistons keep going up and down, but the valves stop moving. Interference engines don't have enough space for pistons to be up and valves to be open, so bent valves is the outcome. Very costly repair, AND the timing belt still has to be replaced! I've advised customers to replace their belt and have them decline, then be towed in a month later because the belt broke...good for business, but bad for them. You can pay me now...or pay me later! Think of timing belt replacement as insurance for valve damage!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app