View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #19
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
As a salute to both the boutique and my China-bashing Republican pen pals--one of the messed up things about our relationship with China and WalMart-type stores is that it has trained us to devalue American labor and Main St America overhead.

All the clothing you've ever purchased for $20 only costs $3-5 (or less!) in labor and materials. Tons of data from many different sources on this online. The retailer needs approximately 50% of the retail price to keep the lights on. The manufacturer needs 50% of the wholesale price to do the same.
Respectfully, I would not say they “trained us” but more of a slow transition to us being accepting of the fact that American business sold out the “value” of well made, more expensive manufacturing to the Chinese. But first it was Japan...I remember how I used to cringe when looking at a product’s origin label as coming from anywhere but the USA. The came Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Philippines (ad nauseum) until China finally cornered the world market. USA business
sold us out in the name of the almighty dollar. (With lots of help from devious, greedy politicians from both parties.)
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post: