View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #20
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyisl View Post
I have worked as captain for a floating restaurant.

I also lived on sandy island for many years where we cooked for 300 people daily (not a floating restaurant)

The business model doesn't work for a floating restaurant.
Our biggest issue was:
Financially Seasonal
Safety, Food Safety, WASTE disposal! Fresh water. Power. Cold Supply chain. Fuel, Electricity.
other problems of course weather, unruly patrons, unpredictable staff. Etc.

I don't understand how the coast guard is so strict on colregs72 and the CFRs, but something like this is ok on a Lake?

The restaurant I worked for was in inland waters and required a COI as a subchapter T Vessel which meant it was subject to a COI Certificate of Inspection that allows 149 Passengers. Requires a USCG Master 100ton in-lnand. Annual inspection, fire drills man overboard, waste pollution plan the whole 9.
BUT the restaurant was still a FAIL, ultimately too many fines and regulations, rightfully so, Bagged for dumping waste!

Look it up. The Rockmore Restaurant.

This is what a floating restaurant does to a community.

The environmental impacts of a floating restaurant are ten-fold what anyone thinks.

Also consider the way the rockmore was opperated was a registered business in Marblehead MA, But water access thru Salem, MA public pier.
I have as well worked on a floating restaurant, which has been very successful and has locations all over the country. Done right, it works. I do not see a problem with them making a go at this, why not

The true issue, sorry one of the main issues is the docks themselves, they are tight long fingers that you cant access due to the width restraints.

On a side note: Aqua marine put in new dock structures, I see that WOW has taken down one of their slip buildings, and put docks in, it seems like money greases the wheels for dock expansions, but I do not see why the town would run into any restrictions to put new docks in or a new configuration in.

I am not against the ventures listed above putting new docks in, in fact in am in favor of new docks around the lake, but when doing our docks we were not able to replace like in kind and had to reconfigure to a smaller size that was there before damage for numerous years???