View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #18
ApS

Arrow Observations vs Documentations vs Anecdotes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
APS, are you off your meds??... I love the way you twist and distort facts to cause conflict. I never accused you of sailing your deep keel boat near loon nest sites! Oh and by the way when you cut and pasted your links above you should of left the entire paragraph in. What’s in bold is what you casually left out...here it is fully documented as you requested from your own source!! “Disturbance from sailboats and wind-surfing has not been documented, however anecdotal and behavioral evidence suggest a flapping sail can be perceived as a visual threat, and therefore has the potential to disrupt nesting and brooding activity,[/U][/B] even in areas of high recreational use.”

“Believe it or not”...
They've gone and shot themselves in the foot by claiming windsurfers have "flapping sails". I notice they hadn't documented that!

Quote:
Sorry APS, but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Anyway, have a nice rest of the summer! Dan
Bald Eagles are a major predator of Loon nests: Hope that clears any misunderstandings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Just as a casual observer that entire statement you made is anecdotal thus has zero basis in fact other than your perceived observation. If you really expect me to believe that fireworks (as an example) are any more scary to a loon than a passing severe thunderstorm I'd like to see evidence that a Loon can really tell the difference. Just because you disagree with another's theory doesn't make the veracity of your claim any more or less relevant. Bottom line is human interaction of any kind has the potential to disturb loons. In fact I would say just your mere presence "summering many years in an area of relatively high Common Loon population" may very well have resulted in how many chicks not making it to adulthood?
My statement could be taken as anecdotal, but when we're on the porch, and I tell my family:

1) "There's a Bald Eagle in the air", they reach for their cameras, and excitedly wait by the porch railing. Seldom are we disappointed, except sometimes the Bald Eagle passes so close—and so quickly—we don't have a chance to get our cameras going!

2) "There's a Loon in flight"—same result, except the Loon (up to five at a time) is/are usually a half-mile distant, and difficult to spot against the opposite shore's tree line. My best is a two-minute video—crudely scanning one in flight—but only about one second shows the Loon clearly.

From Loon.org:
Quote:
The tremolo is also known as the "crazy laugh." It is used to signal alarm, and sometimes at night to vocally advertise and defend its territory. A slightly modified version of the tremolo is sometimes given by flying loons.
What distinguishes the call for me, is that the call is given while rapidly moving.

——————

As for fireworks vs. thunder: fireworks are most-often accompanied by an aerial display, which must be terrifying to nesting Loons.

During today's two thunderstorms, I heard no Loon calls—as is usually the case.

As for my "personal effect on Loons", I quote a third-generation Winter Harborite—whose grandfather knew my grandfather—and whose personal years on Winter Harbor overlap my own:

Quote:
"Jim is right about the spreading of loons.

I think two phenomena are in play, 1), the increased protection by groups such as the Loon Preservation Society and the Lakes Region Conservation Commission, and, 2), the evolutionary adaptation and socialization of the loon to the presence of humans. I have power boated in areas of the Lake and seen certain portions of islands actually blocked off with a string of milk bottle floats protecting a loon nesting area.

I have been canoeing in Winter Harbor and in Wolfeboro Bay and loons hardly get out of your way. I would not go so far as to say loons are overly populated, but there are plenty of loons on Winnipesaukee."
Favorable Loon nesting areas in Winter Harbor are scarce, and I don't think I've ever seen a baby Loon in my lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
APS should run for Congress...he would fit right in!
I don't know—NBC's Brian Williams has outdone me already.