View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #51
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
There are condensing oil boilers that get over 90% AFUE.

I've had a coil cleaned and it worked out just fine for about 5 or so years, then I had it cleaned again and it was good for another 5 or so years. Money was an issue at that point in my life. Then the boiler cracked (Burnham) and I replaced it, I put in a Superstor at the same time and haven't had a problem since.

Biggd wants a new boiler, and that is great, go for it.

The payback numbers are pretty simple math, for an engineer anyway, they may not be perfect, but I suspect they are within 10% at least of being accurate. If you go from 55% to 75% then it would take about 18 years to pay back a $5,500 boiler if you burn about 1,000 gallons per year, which should be pretty close for 100,000 btu boiler and a reasonable house. Unless I screwed up my math, I've been wrong before, but please show me the correct way if I'm wrong.

As far as your issues with your boiler at home Biggd, I suggest you change your contractor. Oil burners aren't rocket science, they are actually pretty simple, especially a contractor grade boiler, as long as you clean them annually and change the parts your service guy recommends, you should not be having problems. I have two houses, the last emergency service call I had was because Fuller ran me dry on automatic delivery. I fired them that day because they would only bring me 10 gallons of oil. That was a few years ago. The guy servicing your boiler makes a big difference.
I'm happy with my decision, you're happy with your decision, we are all happy. I'm certainly happy with the service guy that I have now. Let's leave it at that.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote