View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #43
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
So my point on the pay back. If you are at 75% efficiency now and go to 85% efficiency with a new boiler and you burn 1,000 gallons of oil a year. You will save about 100 gallons of oil per year give or take. At $1.50 per gallon you will save about $150.00 per year. For a $5,500 investment it will take you 36 years to pay back your new boiler, not sure how you get 5 years, unless my math is way off.

A new boiler can crap out too, I monitor my house for temperature in the winter.

I went through this same scenario 5 or 6 years ago, my boiler is still going strong, but it's time is coming.
Then I guess my boiler was below 75% and my new boiler is rated 89%. I spent less than 4K on a new boiler and it was money well spent. Like I said, to each his own. I'm happy with my decision to replace it. I'm 63 so now I don't have to deal with it again in my lifetime. And I paid more than $1.50 a gallon this season past winter for oil. I also monitor my heat with a WIFI T-stat but I'm 2 hours away and don't want the hassle of driving up there at a moments notice.
Also, flushing out a heating coil almost never works and a heating contractor would never guarantee it would. 9 times out of 10 you would be throwing money away. Just like the $800 I spent on an emergency repair on my 30 year old boiler the winter before I replaced it. And changing the mixing valve will do nothing if the water coming out of the coil is not hot enough.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote