View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #44
Trail Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
This is the quote from Ben Clark in terms of the Hobo and Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroads...note that it is pre-COVID:

Clark said his railroad provides $100,000 per year in fees to the state. This figure is 10 percent of ticket sales of about $1 million annually.

In addition, New Hampshire Southern Railroad has a federal common carrier license to use the tracks for freight, which it does in the fall and spring outside of tourist season.

This is the position of NH DOT on the matter:

The removal of the rail line in an active rail corridor is contrary to state law (RSA 228:60-a) and would physically separate the line and points north of Laconia would be isolated from the general railway system. As a reminder, the entirety of the line is actively used by two railroad operators that provide tourist excursion and freight railroad service. This resolution would have a negative impact on both services.

On a another subject, while FLL is certainly entitled to his opinion, I personally find that when he hijacks threads it dilutes the discussion and creates unnecessary distractions...Just my 2 cents.

Jetskier
Not to mention there were two studies done in regards to the railroad and rail trail, one omitted info that supported the railroad to try and sell the trail as the better option. The new mayor of Laconia (before becoming mayor) was made aware of the 2nd study and asked for some time to look over that 2nd study. Fast forward to his first meeting as mayor, the removal rail in favor of the trail was dropped and a "Blue Ribbon" committee (that contains members from all interested parties including the railroad), was created to find an alternate way to build phase 3 of the WOW Trail. Case in point the railroad isn't going anywhere and as I already pointed out, there may be and uptick of rail traffic heading to points north of the lake in the foreseeable future. Tilton south, is going to see an uptick later this year with trains, 40 cars long, 3 to 4 days a week.

Last edited by Trail Goer; 01-19-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trail Goer For This Useful Post: