View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Starting a new thread because the other one went off the rails. This is a purely scientific question. I googled it but can't find the answer. Inquiring for my friend who is recovering from a breakthrough infection.

QUESTION: If someone gets a breakthrough infection, does that mean that the vaccination didn't "take" in that person at all, and therefore the person is also susceptible to further infections after the first one?

In other words, if the vaccine fails you once and you get infected, does that mean that (a) you have zero protection from all future exposures, as if you had not been vaccinated, or (b) you still have 95% protection (minus loss of protection over time) for each exposure, i.e., the vaccine failed you once because you had a 5% chance of infection, but it's still active and your chances of infection are unchanged?
I dont think there is such thing as the vaccine "didnt take" its just not as effective as the marketing hype.

Dont go off the rails and assume I am saying its not effective, it just that the 95% number is a best case calculation of the entire test group, not any single individual.

You also need to know that the protection the vaccine offers declines with time.

Also, the vaccine offers diminishing protection in most new variants.

So in truth everyone that is vaccinated is susceptible to infections and further infections in the future, there are no assurances of protection unless you totally isolate yourself.

That said, if someone suffers a breakthrough infection, they will enjoy a level of natural immunity that currently science cannot totally replicate. So maybe that will bring some comfort. Even so, there is no 100% protection, life affords us nothing like that.

ATB
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: