View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #17
Airwaves

Regarding where to place and how to camoflage cell towers, the fake pine tree towers aren't all that bad. I have noticed the one on 106 but I will have to keep an eye out for the one on 93 below exit 20!

Boston has some serious historical regulations. Cell companies can get very creative to hide them. There are cell towers at Fenway Park...can you tell? There are cell towers on Beacon Hill, hidden inside church steeples.

In the interest of full disclosure, we lease land to a cell company in NH. There are three different cell phone companies on the tower plus town services. It's 110 feet high and it is below the tree line. It's NOT lighted at night (no complaints from neighbors) and the trees don't distract from reception. Remember, I advocate Marine VHF radios on your boat and to NOT rely exclusively on cellphones.

How about this for a compromise? Allow the cell towers to go up in Alton, keep them below 120' tall and they don't need to be lighted (doesn't matter how high on the mountain they are) and if it's really an issue, you can make the cell company dress it up like a fake Christmas tree. Yep, it'll look like a fake Christmas tree for a while, but then it won't.

You'll have cell coverage, and the town will be getting income from the tower.

Just a thought.