View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #61
Andromeda321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder how the quality of NH microbrews compares to that of the rest of the country, esp. PDX, the heart of the "microbrew revolution?"
As someone who tries as many different beers as possible (I keep track on an app called Untappd, and have over a thousand unique beers logged after a few years), NH definitely has a solid selection as a state- Lakes Region is frankly pretty empty for microbreweries though, whereas the rest of the state is much more saturated. My partner and I went down to Portsmouth to give you an idea for a night and pub crawled to four breweries just by walking, and there was also a tap house with a hundred local beers on tap. Wolfeboro is the exception though with two microbreweries- I prefer Lone Wolfe (though there and Burnt Timber both sell beer for takeaway if you don't want to drink it there).

As for taste/varieties, I think the best thing in this region are the New England IPAs. IPAs got a reputation from out West in particular for being super bitter so a lot of people think they don't like them (and I don't like that kind either!), which is basically a great way to mask your mistakes in a batch when starting out. But the NE IPAs are not like that at all- they're hazy, some hops and not bitter (closer to a wheat beer than the traditional IPA), and probably my favorite variety these days. Sours are also popular, and can hit the spot on a hot day, but I'd say that's a national trend over a regional one.

I'm gonna stop now before I sound like an alcoholic.
Andromeda321 is offline   Reply With Quote