View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #15
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
I brought the old modem in today and came home with a new box. Upon opening I found not a replacement modem but an Arris TG2472 gateway which, as has been noted, is a combined modem/router. I had not realized that this would be my only choice.

As I have an almost new router with at lest 8 devices connected the last thing that I wanted to do was setup a new wifi network up all over again. So I called metrocast and was told that it is one size fits all. So then on to tech support to remotely download firmware upgrades and then reconfigure to be just a modem. It took many tries over 40+ min on the phone to just get the device firmware updated. After that a few more min to reconfigure the large ugly box to be just a modem.

The tech explained that the corporate decision was that the one size fits all reduces the types of units out there. He did say that they are spending a lot of time re configuring the ugly box to be just a modem. If I had known that this would be my only choice, I would not have returned the old modem.
Why couldn't you just plus your existing router into one of the Ethernet ports on the TG2472? No need to switch everything over. You don't have to access the wireless side of your TG2472. Sure, you will be broadcasting another network but who cares?

We have an Arris modem/gateway, and have our Netgear Orbi plugged in directly to it. Everything is connected wirelessly to the Orbi, not the Arris network. Works fine. Better than actually, the Orbi is awesome.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote