View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
LaFuga

Default Undiagnosed stalling concern

Hi guys, I have a 1974 Sea Ray 20 ft inboard outboard. New to the Boating world and found what I thought was a honey of a boat for a good price. it has a 305 GM MerCruiser electronic fuel injection. I've been out four times on Winnipesaukee and all four times have had a problem and three out of the four I had to be towed back. The marina that's close by to me is in Dover New Hampshire had gone through the boat initially telling me everything works perfectly. The updated Driveline has approximately 340 hours on it. The first time I brought it out on the lake it Road perfectly 4 hours until the fourth or fifth hour while I was on my way back it's stalled and could not start again so i figured I ran out of gas.... The second time I went out on another day, hours on the lake it had the same ending and it stalled way out in Gilford and could not start. I was towed again by seatow. Brought it to the marina and after they did several tests including a compression check, fuel pressure check, fuel sample check, they ended up putting in new plugs, cap and rotor, and i had them replace the coil just to be sure....$700 later I thought It was all good and went out for my third time. I always leave from Alton Bay and I was in the Meredith area when it decided to do it all over again and spit and sputter and stall with no ability to start up. I was towed once again back to Alton. Brought it back to the marina and they said they had a fuel pump code on their diagnostic computer and found that the fuel pressure while in the marina was jumping up and down sporadically so they put a brand new fuel pump and solenoid in. $970 later I go out for my fourth trip, and again leaving Alton Bay and driving to Weirs Beach everything was great then driving back to Alton going anywhere's from 10 miles an hour to 40 miles an hour it was running perfectly until a half a mile before the boat ramp and then started to hesitate, lost power and wanted to stall but didn't quite stall so I limped it back to the trailer and it is now back at the marina. Of course the mechanic is scratching his head not knowing where to go from here and I am so frustrated I've spent so much money on obviously a problem that continues to be undiagnosed. I'm running out of money and quite frankly hate owning a boat at this point because I haven't had even one good run with it. Of course I'm In Too Deep to be able to sell it so I have to get to the bottom of it somehow. Can somebody please suggest some things so I don't go crazy! Thank you all for your suggestions.

now today on the 1st, the news from my marina is that mercury was called and the tech told them whats going on and they told the marina to put in a boost pump kit because the marina said they found the system vapor locked..... im not an expert on this whole thing but i did remove the gas tank cap when its acted up before and nothing changed, the tech said thats not what hes talking about when he says it was vapor locked......ugh

Last edited by LaFuga; 07-02-2019 at 04:28 PM. Reason: new info
LaFuga is offline   Reply With Quote