View Single Post
Old 04-23-2016, 10:17 PM   #76
Old Sarge

I understand penivisi, but does it really matter if it was illegal or not, something started them down the road. I think these people have addictive personalities and there are several reasons for their addictions, wether it be alcohol, prescription drugs (remember the term "hillbilly heroin"--aka OxyContin! There were loads of people down in Kentucky addicted to that stuff that probably never even tried pot) or emotional problems. I think these people are going to fall into thier addictions no matter what is around them. Millions of people (the vast majority) use marijuana and never go on to hard drugs. Of course this is all conjecture and opinion but If people want something they will get it no matter if it is illegal or not. We have wasted enough money on marijuana prohibition that is not working and has no chance of working. Education is the key not punishment. Look at cigarettes, when I was a kid most people smoked. Now with education most people do not (do you really think that would have happened if they simply made them illegal). Think of what we could have done with the billions wasted on an unenforceable law. I remember the heroin scourges of the late 60's and 70's and the way it was stopped was education. The way the addiction was portrayed in movies ( the French connection et al.'), music (John Lennon's "Cold Turkey" et al.), the news, it stopped being fashionable and the ugliness of it was revealed to people. The government has also had a bad habit of lying to the people and using propaganda (Think "Reefer Madness" Et al.). This has led to people doubting the government. The government also walled off research (and still does) about marijuana. Let's get some real research from independent sources about the hazards or lack there of marijuana and this sway public perceptions concerning the drug.

Last edited by Old Sarge; 04-24-2016 at 10:36 AM.