View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #25
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
C'mon, PBFF, as I see it, the whole reason people smoke MJ is to reach some level of "disconnect" with society. Then, quite possibly, this person will decide to hop in a car or boat and go somewhere. This puts the rest of us at risk. I am not unaware that there are already other forms of substance which can be used by someone, but why legalize another substance known to alter someone reality.

Call me old fashioned, but we have enough "altered" people cruising around society now, and we don't need to invite others to join.
OK...You're old fashioned...
...honestly CG. I understand why it's hard for people who don't understand the drug to be worried about legalization.
Marijuana does not need to be legalized so that people who smoke have easy access to it. It's already easy, delivery to your door easy...anywhere, especially up here in gods country. The grass around here is usually locally grown. It's not the old days where pot comes into Miami from Columbia or Panama and make it's way up north. Most of the MJ in the northeast comes from Canada and local indoor grows. It cost around 3-400 an ounce and the state gets NOTHING from the sale.

If done right, legalizing it destroys the MJ street drug trade overnight. It releases hundreds of millions of dollars spent in NH to enforce MJ laws and forces the law to focus on the drugs that are really killing our kids, prescription meds and heroin. It immediately frees the courts from thousands of petty MJ cases a week and allows the prisons to house real criminals. The tax revenue, ~25 million, is just a bonus.

As far as people boating and driving because it's legalized? I just don't buy that people who have never smoked pot are all of a sudden going to get stoned and drive. No data supports that hypothesis. All these arguments have been made in Colorado, Washington, Hawaii, California.

I worked as a firefighter/emt in Boston and the suburbs for close to 25 years and I have NEVER been to a call that was the result of marijuana (other than anxiety).
The safeness of the drug in adults is not up for debate. PERIOD. You can't overdose on pot.

As someone who understands the physiology of a lot of street drugs I would never suggest that driving under the influence of MJ is safe. It alters your perception of distance and you are not on your A game. I wish there were a good test that could determine if you are under the influence of MJ.

As a supporter of legalizing and taxing MJ I still think it makes sense to watch and see what happens in the states where it is legalized. Learn from them.

NH is the last state in NE to legalize medical MJ. By the time they get their dispensaries opened and all their regulations worked out it will be a huge waste of time and money. It will be legalized by then.

I won't even bring up that "Live Free Or Die" motto that NH used to brag about. That motto meant something to me as a teen when I lived in Mass. You can buy fireworks and the packies are open on Sunday in Newie!