View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Wow! Their proposal seems a bit steep. There is a lot of costs behind the scenes though. Lots of grooming dollars, and without the grooming, there would be much less snowmobiling to be had. The insurance costs to keep the land owners happy must also be getting steep.

On the other hand, it is a seasonal sport and the season can be short. A few years ago, I put eight miles on my sled for the whole season, so it cost me about eight bucks per mile. I think a $100 increase would kill the golden goose. We're already seeing a decrease in boat traffic due to the cost of fuel. If this extends to the snowmobile traffic, plus we lose another percentage to the increased fees - more businesses will likely shut for the winter, because it won't be worth staying open. Maybe if they increase it $10/year for the next 10 years they can get away with it - but $100 at once is too big a hit.

I can see the state wanting to break even in their support of the sport, or maybe invest a bit because they make it back in tourist tax, but I'd like to see the spread-sheets before supporting any increase.