View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
nj2nh

Default Winter of '78

I remember well the blizzard of 1978. It was the single greatest snow storm of my entire life! I was a senior in high school in Providence, RI. We had already missed almost a week of school due to a couple of horrible, but incredibly beautiful ice storms.

Everyone went to school that day. The bus came for us at about 11:30 as I recall. (This was a private school near Brown University so a bunch of parents from southeastern Massachusetts hired a bus to cart us all to Providence). We all managed to get home before it got too bad. My neighbors (16 and 13) drove that day with chains on their tires since the weather report was for some snow. They left much later and got stuck behind someone who got stuck and eventually ran out of gas. They spent the night in a HoJo's, but were fine.

It seemed to snow for two straight days! My parents live on the water and we couldn't even see the water! It was pretty much black even during the day.

After about four or five days, my parents sent my brother and I down our unplowed street, pulling a sled. Our destination was the little store about a 1/2 mile away. We discovered that every street had been plowed but ours!

We ended up missing 10 days of school that year. Seniors did not have to take exams as long as we all had a B in each class. Every senior had a B even if we didn't. After graduation, the underclassmen had to go back and make up the days. What a mess.

But I loved every minute of it. There are two pages on the storm in my yearbook!

nj2nh