View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #24
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

OK, I'll join in. My first (attempted) trip in my first boat did not go well.

When I was in my twenties I got a nice bonus at work and decided to buy a used boat. I had always wanted one but didn't know much about them. This was before the Internet so the wealth of information that we now take for granted was not so easily available. I bought a 1979 Marquis (IO, no manual), trailered it home, cleaned it up and equipped it with a VHF radio and all the recommended safety gear. I also started it for a few minutes and shifted it to make sure everything was working properly. Ear muffs? No one told me about that.

On a quiet weekday I trailered it down to the ramp on the Charles River for my first ride. I was so excited as I dropped it in the water for the first time. Since I was alone I pulled it to the side and tied it to a tree while I parked the SUV and trailer. I walked back, untied it, and hopped in. To my surprise it was quickly filling with water since in my excitement I forgot the plug. I tried the bilge pump but it didn't work. I dove in to the filthy water, inserted the plug and, with some help, managed to get it started onto the trailer. As I slowly cranked it up the water slowly drained out and I took a deep breath and got ready for another try.

I again launched the boat (this time with the plug in) pushed off, started it up, put it in gear and headed up the river. About 100 yards up I started to smell something and looked back to see steam pouring out of the engine compartment. Another boat pulled up and offered to help. He told me to check the water pump impeller and towed me back to the ramp. This time I hauled it out and headed back home a very discouraged boat owner.

The next day I bought a manual and ear muffs and took apart the outdrive. The fuel pump was a melted hunk of plastic. The U-joints were sloppy so I replaced those too as well as the gaskets. When I was done I understood the engine and IO much better. I ran the boat for another 15 years and never forgot the plug or to use the ear muffs. Hard earned lessons.

Anyone else?
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote