View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #20
Just Sold

Here are 2 of my boat fails!

Last year I launched the 18' Stingray at Swains Lake in Barrington. I am very familiar with the launch ramp and knew it is shallow and there are lots of rocks around it. My wife was in the aft area of the boat as I started the motor but I neglected to ask her to move forward so the prop/outdrive could be higher and away the rocks/lake bottom. Yup, no sooner than I put it in drive I bent the prop blades and the skeg broke off on a rock. Luckily the boat ran OK for a short trip to my friends cottage with no vibrations or other issues. I was able to fix it with a new prop and SS Skeggard and I was a few $$ lighter.

In the late 70's while staying at the Bay Side Inn in Alton Bay I was starting my 15' White wood lapstrake (40hp Evenrude) with the pull start and it started OK except the motor was in forward even though the shifter looked to be in neutral. We were at the single dock in front of the office and the boat slammed into the rocks at the dock chewing a nice dent in the bow. I made a quick trip to the town ramp (wife met me with the trailer) and put the boat on the trailer see if the damage was any worse but luckily it wasn't.

Last edited by Just Sold; 04-07-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote