View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #13
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I read the similar article in the Union Leader this morning. That story stated that neither were wearing the required PFDs. If they were on a 3 or 4 seat PWC, PFDs are not required to be worn, as that size PWC is considered to be a boat.

With that said, I have never, not once ridden my PWC without wearing a PFD. And I consider myself an experienced rider, have owned a PWC for 10 years now.

Any way, sorry to hear about this accident, I hope they both make a full recovery.
1) Even with PFDs, I suspect there are many more rescues than make it to newsprint. I conducted my own double-rescue last Friday—as I recorded elsewhere:

QUOTE:

"...I needed the NHMP for an emergency, but when you dial their number this season, you get a recording—from the State Police—to dial 9-1-1.

In short, a large wake from an oversized boat caused a large passenger (50s) to fall off a Jet-Ski—who was unable to board again—even with help from the "Captain". The wind had picked up before a looming thunderstorm.

He started to swim (wearing his PFD) but the wind kept him from making headway and he soon became exhausted. I called NHMP with the above results—while a family member had launched a canoe. There was no rope aboard the canoe, so I threw a rope to tow the victim in. I launched our powerboat with difficulty, as it hadn't been started in two months and towed both of them in (both having become exhausted)."

2) Speaking of early Jet-Skis, the Wolfeboro Boat Museum once had an 10-HP outboard-powered Jet-Ski. The side graphics indicated the name of the...um...craft was "Mosquito". From what I can (briefly) gather from Google, it was an Australian-design—and/or possibly British.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: