View Single Post
Old 09-07-2022, 07:35 AM   #21
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
This is a very selective reading of history, and a complete misreading of what I wrote. The lake is dramatically different than 50 years ago--it's the same lake in about the same way that you are the same person.

I did not propose altering the lake. I do recognize that all things in this world have imperfections.

The funny thing about your comments is that fewer lights today make the lake MORE reminiscent of the past, not less
Sorry, all I get out of your response is nonsense.

I think my views and statements are pretty consistent, if you dont like them, thats fine. I make no attempt to stifle you. I simply disagree with you.

As far as I am concerned the Lake in it character is not any different than 50+ years ago, and probably even 100 years ago, its just busier. Its the same highly developed and very active summer destination it always was. In my lifetime it was NEVER comparable to Sebago or Moosehead or even Squam. Its always been busier, and more developed and more sought after destination for boaters and active vacationers. As opposed to the folks who seek a quiet lake without all the development, noise, activity, etc. Kayakers often tell me that will not go to Winnipesaukee, its just too busy for them, and that makes complete sense to me. And when I hear people asking others to turn off lights, I think, how sad and I love to see the lights glistening off the water at night, its a Winnipesaukee vibe. And for night boaters its a godsend. I would not want to boat on Winnipesaukee without all the shoreline lights.

Sorry there are competing desires for the lake, but its history is clear over the last 100 years it has gotten progressively more and more developed and popular and vibrant. And while even I think Saturdays are a bit busy for my liking (on the water) but if I am sitting anywhere along the shore, I absolutely LOVE seeing all the boat traffic, its FUN!

For those who seek a quiet lake without all the traffic, activity and lights, there are better destinations and that are not ever going to be a Winnipesaukee. So I suggest they take a look, they might like it better and not have to suffer Winnipesaukee as it is.

ATB