Thread: Summer Help
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #61
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
As a high school teacher, I often see students working too often, especially for what they are using much of the money for--cellphone bills, clothing, etc.--and what they're missing--full involvement in sports, activities, social and family life, etc.

Jobs can provide good learning experiences, but too many hours can be detrimental.

Edit: remembered this was a summer job posting. I'd like ALL my students to work during summer, but then cut back a bit during school.

Peace!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Sports, social and family life are all important for sure but how about teaching kids a good work ethic? There is great satisfaction to earning your own money, to be appreciated on the job and the comradery that comes from working with others.
Most small business' rely on summer sales to get through the year and we rely heavily on seasonal staff.
I've noticed over the years that schools give little thought to the needs of local business, often scheduling activities on weekends and busy holidays.
We all happily support the schools when they seek donations for sports activities, after prom parties, school trips and many other requests.....wish they would work a little closer with the business community.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post: