View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
dippasan

Default Another 150' tale

I'd like to thank the ignorant boater that provided an excellent visual reference to my 3 son's (who are relatively inexperienced but licensed boaters) about the 150' rule.

We traveled through the Weirs channel into Paugus Bay on Sunday. It was very busy but that's kind of what makes it fun to go through. We turned around deep in Paugus bay to come back through the channel. I was still several hundred yards away from the "no wake" buoy and slowed to headway because there were boats parked south of the Naswa with swimmers and people just enjoying the moving boat show. Everyone was lined up single file preparing to go through.
A boat then went by me on full plane (with his wife and kids aboard) and cut in front of me in the line of traffic creating some really awesome waves for everyone. This 4$$hole was no more than 40-50 feet away from me and the traffic coming the other way. He then proceeded to navigate almost dead center down the channel. Absolutely clueless!!! I guess he figured that he wasn't up to the "no wake" buoy yet so he'd just keep it on plane completely oblivious to the fact that the 150 rule applies to other boats. All 3 of my son's used some nice sentence enhancers to describe his boating skills. Boaters coming the other way were shaking their heads.

Thanks to him my sons now have a vivid mental image of what the 150' rule means and how it applies.