View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #25
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
Yes Grant I did. The object really lit up when I first got the image and had my attention as the surrounding area is all mud; I dropped a flag right on it and scanned for a long time trying to pick it up again and get it from different angles. I found nothing-zip-zero. Late in the day though and no time to dive it. Bizarre but it happens.

I went back again another day and also found nothing, repeating what I did the first time. I need to go back yet again, flag it and just dive and see what happens, which is as a rule, turns out to be no object all that would create such a side-scan image.

I would post the image but I'm not done with it yet-I will when I'm done working it as I didn't remove the Lat/Lon from it and if it turns out to be something worthwhile I don't want it's exact position in the wind.

Cardinal rule of side-scan: If the target is really there-you can repeat a scan and get it again, although it may not look at all like the same thing, but there should be an object there nonetheless.

I am still trying to figure out why this is so i.e., I have something that even casts the well-known side-scan shadow often with right angles in the image lit up along their edges in white but no matter what I do I can't find any evidence of it again.

I had something else last summer in Alton that was big, cast a shadow, had 2 squarish ends to it-bright white returns on the sonar from its edges-wow it looked like very cool find. I flagged it, dove it at 55 feet-zero-zip, again. I am still mystified how there was nothing there. I even swung a 40 foot loop around it with my wreck reel-nothing.

Mis-judging what an object is is one thing; Scanning something that in my experience is very real and worth diving only to find absolutely nothing is still confuses me. Not even a rock-I mean there is nothing in the area with these periodic "finds".

Thank you very much to Jack McWilliams and Bill Chambers for providing Senter Cove Guy and me their photographs AND video to post- outstanding background information for this search!

And thank you to those who have helped me and SCG continue the search and posted here on Winni.com; Great shots of the Nellie too!

I love this stuff.
Yeah -- interesting. I revisited the side-scan you sent me, and everything you mention is there -- the shadow, well-defined edges, whiteness. I'd like to try it with a reel when I get back in the water...seems like something has to be there. Thanks!