View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
NoBozo

Default More Questions

There was a steamer named EAGLE mentioned in my new "Steamers in Motion" book. There is a picture of EAGLE on the launch ways ready to be launched...the caption says it was in Lakeport in 1866. The boat is obviously NOT a paddle steamer. It's a screw steamer. You can almost see the propeller under the counter stern, behind some workers standing on the railway.

If this is true, then the NELLIE (1872) was NOT the first screw steamer on the lake.

EAGLE is described elsewhere in the book as 60 feet long and built in 1885 at Lake Village.....There are people standing on deck in this broadside photo, so I took a pair of draftsman's dividers and took the height of the tallest person on deck and "walked" it off over the length of the boat..assuming the man was 6' tall. I make the boat to be about 125 feet long. What's a mother to do...??

Could have been more than one EAGLE.....?? I guess the thing to understand here is that over time....different people telling the same story...or two different stories, over and over..the Facts may get confused. NB

EDIT: I measured EAGLE again. I Mis-Measured. It's more like 75 feet..not 125.

EDIT 2: I'm embarrassing myself now. I failed to notice the picture of the EAGLE on the ways has NO Stack. Steamers have a smoke stack. Now my credibility is in the toilet.

Last edited by NoBozo; 10-17-2011 at 06:11 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote