View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #34
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuberty24 View Post
Because we all work. We are not all retired citizens with to much money and free time.
The reason you did not see more businesses getting involved as some were neutral and some knew it was better to not alienate customers on either side of the issue. I talked to a couple marina owners directly last year who did not open their mouths for just the reasons I mentioned.

I know very well the businesses that supported the SL and they will never see one penny of my money as they have in the past.

Looking at my Four Winns technical manual there is a whole section that lists the fuel usage and top speeds based on prop blade & pitch. There's a reason why Four Winns put that in there as people want boats that have some level performance. This is what sells boats.

To be honest I am suprised the boating industry did not step up and support SB-27 and that kinda of support needs to be looked at in the future. Getting more public awareness in magazines, etc is also paramount. Winni is a fringe market compared to places like Florida, Texas, and California and their lakes.

Having a 45 MPH limi on Winni is like having a 40MPH limit on I-93 IMO. Lower the SL on that stretch that low and the same people who would support a boat SL would be up in arms about the slow highway limit.
Get those same people educated about what it's like on the water as to what is considered fast and the 45 MPH limit would not last one day. WinnFlabs is not successful because they are smarter or more organized than anyone else. They have public perception on their side.

There were people who have not ever owned a boat or even been on the water who thought the SL was a "good idea". In some people's minds they think that's great until that same logic results in legislation that affects them.

What would really help is the "right" person get a ticket for speeding on the lake. I suspect there will never be many tickets written as you can spot MP from a great distance, the sight lines are huge, and there's really no place for them to hide like they do on the highway.

I will have one of my radar detectors onboard this year to get an idea of how often they are clocking people. I suspect it would be a lot of wasted time for MP with minimal results when most boats aren't even going 45 MPH to begin with.

Last year I had a phone conversation with a very well know person from this site with a discussion about rafting and the SL. I told him my real name but did not ID myself as a forum member. He owns waterfront and was under the impression that I was a SL supporter (his assumption, not by me duping him). I have long agonized over revealing what was said but it is very clear that he assumes anyone who is not a waterfront owner is scum of the earth. Given what he sells I am still shocked after what I heard come out of his mouth. I am REALLY close to spilling the beans and probably should have done it long ago. There is a "Z" in his user name.

What I have come to conclude is that the SL is about those who own on the lake and goes beyond safety or public interest.

After having been involved with this forum (since near the very beginning but under my old name) and knowing people's true colors I've lost a lot of respect for people on the water. It's not the opinions that bother me. It's the attitudes that some people have about people's use of the water. I just can not understand why people buy on the water and get upset by people using the lake. If people want to lie and say it's because of wild parties, etc please go tell that story to someone else. I know better.

Maybe some mandatory education attached to deeds for shorefront owners to inform them that boats use the water during the summer is needed before getting the keys would do some good. And the class would be in Berlin, NH and only held on Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day weekends
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post: