View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #208
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I just did in the post above yours.
I was just about to post the same. Seems like that compromise position has already been offered up as well. The bays are always more congested, and the narrower the bay, the tougher it is when there are many different speeds travelled.

The reason I say just extend the sunset provision is this. Next year "may" signal the return to more typical boating activity. I say May because nobody knows how many people have just gotten out of boating due to the economy, how many will ever come back, and how much has been the bad weather/economic snowball affect. I can only guess that it will reappear as the weather stabilizes, and people have the wherewithal to go out. I try not to assume, so I'd wait.

What are the pros to extending the sunset provision?

Obviously, the data. If boat traffic returns to "normal", whatever that is, people can make more informed judgments about the impact of the SL law. Accidents weren't the problem, so I doubt not having accidents is the measure of the law. But if traffic goes back to normal, And the perception is that they feel better, as Dave feels, then you're left with the boneheads.

There's so many things that go into addressing a law. With all of the publicity surrounding this law, perhaps people are a lot more aware of their boating activity. There may well be some serious cowboys that have not been on the lake as a result of the law. This would be a good thing. They would not have been on the lake if there cowboy and dangerous actions were spotted by MP's right?

Dave has no real dog in this battle, other than principle. So I'd be far more inclined to listen more to his perceptions and stories than others. But I do feel that in the long run, you can keep the daytime/weekend limits and massage them as time goes by. I agree with many that the nighttime limit of 25 is a bit low.

Anytime a perfect weather weekend on Winni seems relatively pleasant and easy going on Winni, there's more to it than an unenforced SL. I'll bet there's even more attention given to anchoring this year.