View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 AM   #64
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Yeah true but that is a completely different setup than throttle body EFI. If proper care is taken to ensure that the PCV system and air filter are kept clean and in good working order that throttle plate and surrounding area should never ever get any significant buildup in them. I've shot mine occasionally if I happen to have it opened up and exposed but rarely if ever have I found mine to be so dirty that it was something I would purposely do on a regular basis. In fact it's not even on any maintenance schedule for any Toyota/Lexus I have ever owned or worked on (and I used to be a technician). Not to say that they can't get dirty or that can cause problems, just rather rare that they do. In fact the only thing I have ever seen cause any problems at all was a dirty MAF sensor which is well before the throttle body and can kick on the MIL/CEL idiot light in the dash.

A lot of these "services" that are sold these days are a total rip off to unaware consumers that sadly don't really know any better.
Some older fords had throttle body EFI and we use to have to clean them quite often because when they got dirty the car would stall at idle. All throttle bodies will get dirty eventually. I've been doing this for 45 years and I've seen it all.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote