View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Did it once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Looking at the physical agility test by clicking on the link, it says that for a male applicant age 60-69, I am 61; it goes like so;

run a mile in 17:49 minutes

.65 unknown exercise.....probably a 65-lb benchpress(?)

18 sit-ups

9 push-ups

And, that is probably just the introductory test that one must take before going further with the application and interview.

18-sit-ups........for someone in their sixties, that seems like it is probably a little strenuous. It's interesting that the Marine Patrol seems to place some pretty big hurdles at the entrance to the applicant by starting them off with a demanding psysical fitness test.
Bench Press is at your age is .65 x your weight. If you weigh 180, you have to bench press 180 x .65 = 117. You can do 3 presses, but only one at your target weight. It is done with free weights. After you take the written exam, this is the first exercise to do. If you make the press, you move on; if not, you go home.

The sit ups and pushups are in a minute. Situps are with feet flat on the floor, knees bent, and if I remember it right, hands behind the head, and the elbows have to touch your knees. Pushups are done with the legs and back straight. You must come down to 3 inches from the floor, and they use a 3 inch cube to measure it. You start in the up position, down and up is one...If you rest, you must rest in the up position.

The mile and a half is just that...a mile and a half on an indoor wooded track upstairs at the facility.

I did the training getting ready to take the exam. Nearly aced the written, could not do the bench press (I have no tricep in my left arm due to a disc injury, muscle atrophied) ...could not lock out the left arm. In training, no problems with the 18 situps or the pushups and was running the mile and a half under 16 mins.

If you are in good shape, not too bad a test. I was doing 185 multiple reps on my Crossbow (like a Bowflex), but that is progressive, and the free weights did me in. Oh well. At least, as a MP officer, I didn't have to put up with abuse from some folks here on the forum .