View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #18
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
The question is, Can this type of behavior be learned or do people just function in different ways? I think there are people like you and I that go out and enjoy driving , and all the surounding activity that it comes with, and others that are out to enjoy the ride and don't want to be bothered by there surroundings.
Hard to say. Can people be "taught" to be nice? I'm reasonably sure common sense is not necessarily a learned behavior. Nowadays, people seem all stressed out over something, and bothered by some group of people or another. I do the same as you guys, turn to starboard and go my own way, well ahead of any situations that may develop. I may very well be one of a select few idiots that slows in the bay before swamping small sailboats. Many boaters today operate on water as many people do on land. With a boatful of arrogance and hardly a thought given to anyone else. I'm never sure whether it's outright arrogance or simply a cultural issue. Many probably act the way their families acted, don't know.

But from politics to religion to boating to highways, it certainly does seem a lot different than the old days. I certainly can't imagine living the rest of my life fueled with arrogance and hatred or bigotry, there has to be some fun and life in there somewhere
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post: