View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #21
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I don't spend a lot of time in Wolfeboro, nor am I familiar with its racial make-up. I do not know the "gentleman" in question. However, in my own life, I have encountered real racists (on both sides) and some "apparent" racists. It is my considered opinion that you cannot determine a person's true racial bias based on a single word in a private conversation regarding the relative merits of the President of the United States. Words carry different meanings and weights, depending on a person's background and the context of use.

My point is that rather than defining 82 years of life by the private use of a single word, let's look at his whole and current record. Is he competent at his job? If not, remove him on that basis. Does racial bias affect how he does his job? If yes, then shame on Wolfeboro for keeping him this long. Is he too old? [Careful: age discrimination] Is his mind going? Is he unpleasant to work with? Does he have any black friends? Does he have any white friends? [Judging from the other posts, I would have to say "no".]

I'm sorry, but the utterance of one word, without backup material, is a story worthy only of the laziest journalist or of someone with their own agenda. If this man is, indeed, a "racist", then let's see the rest of the evidence. It can't be that well hidden. Let's not waste our efforts creating "racists", instead let's identify the real ones --and, of course, Copeland may well turn out to be one-- by examining their deeds and actions. Then we can be well rid of them.
I agree that people should be judged not by a single action. Too many people have said something stupid and been labeled a racist, homophobe, etc.

Here's my point. If you have a "criteria" where you feel the N word is appropriate then you are racist. There is never a time when using that word is justified. Having a "criteria" at 82 years old tells me he's probably come across others who he feels meet his standard.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post: