View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #54
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA View Post
OK, so the boats are within their rights but why anchor basically in someone's yard (even though legal)? There are many spots to anchor and swim that don't come in front of someone's waterfront property. Would I park my car in the street in front of someone's house and then have a tail gate party? I live near a spot where a few boats anchor and swim and stay far enough out from land to be courteous.
I'd tried to hold my breath (fingers) but I wanted to respond to this.

I've heard this type of argument before, "It's a big lake, go somewhere else", "I wouldn't park in front of your home and make lunch, why would you do it to someone else".

To use the auto parking analogy, this argument is similar to someone that buys some property to build a home, or buys a home next to a popular scenic spot.

Perhaps it's a long standing lovers lane, or a place with a great view, or across from a park or other scenic spot that the general public has been using for years. Some particular spots just have a feeling of serenity and will naturally be a draw to people, so maybe it's just a spot that people like to visit and enjoy.

Now the homeowner moves in and doesn't like all the people parking near their home or spoiling their view, so they start to complain, being a pest to the people that simply want to admire nature, the view or enjoy the peaceful serene beautiful spot. The homeowner becomes a bully thinking that if they can make people feel uncomfortable enough, that after time, slowly people will stop coming.

Perhaps the homeowner takes it to the next level and works on some legislation to declare the area off limits to too many people.

After time, when people hear a story of someone being driven away from the area, the response is: Why do you need to stop at that particular spot when there are so many other nice spots to go?

Or we could ask: If the homeowner doesn't like so many people to be near their home, then why did they buy a home that is adjacent to a spot that is known as a beautiful place to visit?

I think it's better to have everyone share the beauty in harmony. Part of the beauty of the lake is also the boating on the lake, the children swimming in the lake, the grandparents watching the children enjoying the lake by dangling their legs in the water to cool off.

Yes it's a big lake, and all of it is beautiful. Many people have their favorite spots, homeowners don't get to carve out their own private area and say 'stay away from me', no more than a boater or fisherman can say 'this is my private spot to fish' or 'my family and I have been anchoring in this spot for years so stay away'.

Now we have learned (thanks to Bizer) that this area is not cleanly a legal NRZ. My guess is that the MP is stuck between a rock and a hard place with this and it needs to be legally cleaned up so we all can live in harmony.

Last edited by Rich; 08-05-2015 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling typo
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post: