View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
ghfromaltonbay

Default Reminder of previous good deed on the lake

I posted this story back in 2008 and was reminded of it by this thread.

Your story reminded me of another great finding in Alton Bay. Someone asked 2 guys I know to dive for a lost brass boat lamp just north of Light #23 near Sandy Point. One of them found a men's wallet in the silty bottom and brought it back to shore. The wallet contained money, license, etc. for someone from Mass. and based on the license date it had been there for a few years. The diver called this gentleman who hung up on him. He called again, said it wasn't a hoax and mentioned that there was a half of a $1 bill in the wallet. This kept the man on the line who told the diver that he had lost the wallet out of his back pocket while sitting on the side of his friend's boat. Over the years many of his buddies made prank calls pretending that they had found the wallet and he thought this was another prankster. When he heard about the 1/2 $1 bill, he then knew my friend was not trying to pull his leg. He explained that he and his wife had cut a $1 bill and each carried a half. His wife passed away shortly after he lost his wallet and he still kept the half she had carried. Now he had his half back as well as the money that had been in the wallet. I seem to remember it was quite a large amount and since it had been in the water so long it had to be separated carefully with tweezers. The story of this discovery was carried on CNN and featured the young hero.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post: