View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #48
fatlazyless

It looks like all 24 wind turbines are up, but with the curve of Fletcher ridge it's difficult to say if it is 23 or all 24. Driving down Rt 93 north or south, you can catch a very very quick view between the trees in the close proximity to Exit 26, Plymouth, looking up the Baker River valley. All the towers and 3-blade propellers, which supposedly are 300' high, are a reflective white color.

These two mountains that are home to the 24 turbines are just south of White Mountain National Forest and are seperated from it by the Baker River.

It seems like local people have varying different opinions on the new 24 wind turbines....but one thing is for sure......they are very, very easy to see from the very well used Rt 25-Tenney Mt Hgwy in Plymouth, plus the newly installed 100' wood utility poles and wires that run down Tenney Mt Hgwy are also very easy to see.

Wind power......catch the power from a windy mountain ridge high up in Groton, NH........owned by the largest electric utility co in Spain ... www.iberdrolarrenewables.us/groton.html .....sell the power to N-Star electric utility in Boston, MA. .....pay a large signifigant property tax to the small town of Groton, NH.

Question for this Sunday morning: So, who the heck benefits from these here 24 wind turbines that are each about 300' high and why?

The headquarters building for the local electric utlity, the New Hampshire Electric Coop, is located on Tenney Mt Hgwy in Plymouth, and the 24 turbines can easily be seen from that location, but how-o-how do those turbines do anything to benefit the NH Electric Coop users who sure pay some very high electric rates? This includes myself. Every time I drive past the Electric Coop, I think about that and try to figure how the turbines have anything to do with the local users of electricity??? So, what's the connection? Is there a connection between the two?

Maybe try googling: "Wind farm proves windfall for tiny town of Groton" Union Leader, August 2012 for an article and email comments.

From the Oct 1, 2012, Waterville Valley WigWag, authored by David Britton, an article titled : "Wind Farm: Something New On The Horizon".

If the WigWag is on the internet, I couldn't find it, but here's some of the info from the article.

"Each of the 24 turbines will net the Town of Groton $22,000/year and this increases by 2.5% annually."

"Iberdrola is moving to complete its $120 million, 48-megawatt project by the end of the year."

" Selectmen inked a 15-year-agreement with the Spanish wind energy giant Iberdrola which brings in $528,000 in the first year. The 2012 Groton town budget is $546,000: if all warrant approved warrant articles are included, it totals $742,000."

"Each of the 24 wind towers is, from foundation to tip of blade, about 300 feet high."

Here's a couple of comments.....

"I think the windmills are actually quite beautiful. There is a sleek elegance to them and they follow the ridgelines with an almost fluid quality. Now if Groton will only curb the urge to spend, spend, spend, their citizens might actually see real benefits from having the power company essentially pay all their taxes."

"While the windfall may benefit one small town, it is an eyesore as far away as Lake Winnipesaukee and Squam Lake region. A number of towns were never involved or notified about the situation. Is this the future? Big brother destroying the scenery? Maybe we can abilished the 'view' tax."

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-07-2012 at 09:33 AM.